On a hot and overcast day the Connecticut Wildcats made the trip to the neighboring state of Massachusetts for round 7 of the USA Rugby League competition.

Boston Head Coach Robin Peers made a raft of changes to his 17 man squad, handing a debut to naval serviceman Erin O’Dell and Boston University’s Joe Musi, as well as bringing Derek Morin and Kiwa Oakes back into the squad.

It was perhaps because of all these changes that the 13s started sluggishly, struggling to hold the ball in offense and giving away numerous penalties in defense. The Wildcats definitely having the better of the opening 10 minutes.

The 13s however were first to break the deadlock on 12 minutes when fullback Liam Georgetown used his great footwork to score on a last tackle powerplay. Lucas Baistrocchi converting to give the 13s an early 6-0 lead.

The opening try didn’t appear to fix things right away for the 13s and the Wildcats were next on the scoreboard with a converted try from close range on the 20 minute water break.

The break gave the 13s the chance to regroup and refocus and it wasn’t long before the offense got up to it’s usual potency.

Burly back-rower Derek Morin crossed twice in five minutes to start things off, the first coming off a Conor Leahy offload, the second off a Baistrocchi break.

Recent USA Hawks selection Baistrocchi then turned provider again on 31 minutes when he fed utility back Kiwa Oakes to score down the left channel, taking the 13s out to a 20-6 lead.

The first half scoring was rounded out by another USA Hawks selection Marcos Flegmann who used his considerable size and power to burrow over from close range. Baistrocchi converted to take the score to 26-6 at the half time break.

The 13s international boys were the stars of the second half with Port Moresby born Lawrence Crilley putting the first points on the board with a long range try.

Cherbourg native Georgetown then got his second of the game on 47 minutes when he superbly out paced everyone to touch down a deft Baistrocci’s grubber kick.

Baistrocci again turned creator on 50 minutes, putting over enigmatic Kiwi Kiwa Oakes for his second of the day.

French international hooker Kane Bentley then grabbed two tries back to back, both converted, before Georgetown closed out the scoring with an extravagant chip an chase.

Boston running out convincing victors 56-6.

Boston Assistant Coach Dustin Cooper said afterwards, “I was disappointed with our start for the second week in a row and its something we will be working on in practice this week. The boys did eventually get back on track though and played some clinical footy.”

Comments are closed.